Latest answers

Florence Robson Florence Robson, Aug 4th 2015, 13:34 Verified Guru


I shared a flat during my year abroad in Madrid and found it to be a fantastic way to get to know native speakers and integrate yourself into a local friendship group (a brilliant way of practicing your target language!). 

Halls can also be a fantastic experience, but universities usually put all the international students together within halls, so it can be harder to meet locals (especially as many students tend to go to uni in their local town/city and live at home).

Here are thoughts from Arthur, a student who lived in France last year:

"I thought that by staying in University accommodation I would meet absolutely loads of people and get involved a lot more with uni life as a result. Don’t get me wrong, I do really like the accommodation I am in, and have met lots of really lovely people, it’s just that the jealousy really did kick in on Monday night. My friend Peter is a German who speaks pretty good French, but he is living in a perfectly situated apartment with large rooms, fully equipped kitchen, beautiful views, and two lovely French flatmates. Just THINK how good his French will be in a month, let alone 5! All of this has cost Peter far less than Uni accommodation would have. (It doesn’t worry me a great deal though, it will only make me more keen to get out there and meet more French people.)"

I hope this is helpful!

Comments 0 Please Sign in to comment

Sign up to share your experience

Login to TYA Answers with Facebook Sign in with Facebook

Share Socially

Question Topics

Related questions

What is the best way to find accommodation in Spain? is definitely the best website to use when looking for accommodation in Spain. There is also which was quite helpful, and EasyPiso as well, except you have to pay for that one in order to see anything at all other than...

Jul 15th 2014, 18:09 | 5 answers

I'm going to Spain for my year abroad; do I need a NIE?

A NIE is basically the foreigner's version of the Spaniard's ID card (DNI.)  If you intend to open a bank account then you must get one before doing so.  They use the NIE for most things, although it is also possible to use your passport number...

Jul 23rd 2014, 14:27 | 3 answers

Does anyone know any good theatre companies in Spain?

Can't say I know myself, but presumably your university's Spanish department has theatre/drama/literature specialists who you might ask? Even if they don't know, they might have colleagues in the Theatre department or equivalent who can make...

Aug 11th 2014, 18:26 | 1 answer

What is the best option in terms of mobile phone contracts in Spain?

Try looking at these websites:

Aug 12th 2014, 8:33 | 4 answers

Are there any good sites for finding a flat and/or flatmates in Spain?

You might want to have a look at this previous question. The answers recommend, which I found to be a really useful flat hunting tool during my year abroad in Madrid! I think there is also a feature on the site where you can...

Aug 12th 2014, 11:46 | 2 answers

From the TYA Network

TYA Answers has been created in partnership with: