Latest answers

Amy Smith Amy Smith, Jun 10th 2015, 15:29

It's super easy, there's no need to worry! Just walk into a bank and say 'ich möchte ein bankkonto eröffnen bitte'. Take a form of ID like a driving license or passport. You sign a form and get a bank card within a few days by post usually.  I personally went with sparkasse because their account was free for a year but I had a friend who went with raffeisen and she paid four euros a month or something. Just go with whoever has a branch close to you. A lot of German banks make you pay to have an account with them for some reason. I had absolutely zero problems with sparkasse though, they were great. 

With regard to changing euros into pounds, I put pounds on the Thomas Cook cash passport and could withdraw the euros at any cash machine in Europe. I hate to sound like an advert but this was great for the first month or two as if I wanted I could have deposited the euros into my sparkasse account. It was also safer because then I didn't have to carry 1000 euros round with me or leave loads of money in my flat. I hope this helps!

Comments 0 Please Sign in to comment

Sign up to share your experience

Login to TYA Answers with Facebook Sign in with Facebook

Share Socially

Question Topics

Related questions

What's better to do first - accommodation or bank account?

Ideally, you'd get on with arranging both as soon as possible but you might need to use your UK cash card to get money from a bank machine for a deposit or take cash with you from the UK. Obviously using the card is safer!

Aug 9th 2014, 17:01 | 2 answers

What are some good websites to find accommodation in Germany?

Have you tried this one: It is generally thought to be very good indeed, and German students tend to use it a lot.

Aug 12th 2014, 11:22 | 1 answer

Anyone got any tips for getting round the needing a bank account to rent a flat but needing an address to have a bank account?

I got my bank account first and used my schools address for that, then I used  my bank and my schools address on the rental agreement for the flat. I updated them to the official address of my flat afterwards. 

Sep 2nd 2014, 8:50 | 2 answers

Can anyone recommend a French bank?

I got a student account with BNP Paribas - it was so easy and it also provided me with room insurance, which is compulsory in France. Just make sure to take all your documents with you - passport, proof of French address, proof of student status...

Sep 2nd 2014, 8:51 | 4 answers

Has anyone done a CELTA in Germany?

Hi, I taught English to adults in a teaching college in Vienna 2 years ago and although it was quite daunting at first, it was an incredible experience. I'm currently living in Wolfsburg in Germany and the demand for English teachers/tutors is...

Sep 19th 2014, 11:46 | 2 answers

From the TYA Network

TYA Answers has been created in partnership with: