Latest answers

Charlotte Charlotte, Apr 9th 2015, 12:02 Verified Guru

Hi there, thanks for your question on EU Careers, great to hear you are interested in applying. 

If you are interested in pure translation/interpreting you would have to wait for a specialist linguist concours that matches your languages. 

In terms of eligibility, you need a perfect command of one EU lang, and a thorough knowledge of at least 2 others (one of which must be EN, FR or DE). You also need a degree, but no specific translation qualifications are needed.

For interpreting in addition to the same language requirements above, you do need experience and/or qualifications in conference interpreting.

As a generalist you would not be in official translation/interpreting roles, rather as policy officers. However the nature of working in such a multilingual set of institutions will mean that you are often translating from one language to another.

Best of luck with your applications!

Comments 0 Please Sign in to comment

Sign up to share your experience

Login to TYA Answers with Facebook Sign in with Facebook

Share Socially

Question Topics

Related questions

What is the difference between a year abroad and a gap year?

A gap year usually takes place between a student leaving school and starting university. After three years of stress and public exams, many students seize the opportunity to plan the constructive and adventure-filled year of their choice before...

Jun 27th 2014, 12:10 | 1 answer

What is the difference between a 'code banque' and a 'code guichet'?

The 'code banque' refers to which bank chain you are with (i.e. 30003 is Société Générale I believe) - the 'code banque' for all Société Générale accounts is the same. The 'code guichet' meanwhile is the specific bank branch for your account (the...

Jul 15th 2014, 17:33 | 1 answer

What's the best option in terms of mobile phones in Italy?

If you change your UK contract to Three, you can use all of your normal texts, minutes and Internet in Italy for no extra charges when contacting the UK or other people abroad on Three, and then just WhatsApp any Italian phone numbers. That's...

Aug 5th 2014, 12:08 | 3 answers

What do the British Council mean by 'environment' in their application form?

Hello,The 'environment' preference relates to the size of the town e.g. large town, small to medium town or rural. Thanks,Tom

Aug 11th 2014, 14:49 | 1 answer

What is the best option in terms of mobile phone contracts in Spain?

Try looking at these websites:

Aug 12th 2014, 8:33 | 4 answers

From the TYA Network

TYA Answers has been created in partnership with: