Latest answers

Nicola Byrom Nicola Byrom, Jan 20th 2015, 18:22 Verified Guru


I imagine that it must be hard for you right now because being abroad will create many limits on the amount of support and kind of support that you can provide your family. I'm making an assumption that you can probably still talk to your family or stay in touch via email. If you are finding this difficult the first step is to try to work out some ways of staying in contact with your brother and family that work for everyone. 

In my own experience there are usually two things that people are looking for in terms of support through times like this. 

(1) Talking really does help: being able to encourage and engage in conversation about how things are going, is likely to be helpful. This might be talking about difficult conversations about the thoughts and feelings your family are experiencing, or simpler conversations about day to day life. 

Student Minds has a lot of resources relating to eating disorders - we are still working on building up the same level of resource to support students experiencing other mental health difficulties (getting there!!). I mention this because there is a section in our resources for supporting a friend with an eating disorder that you might find helpful because it covers general listening skills, as well as Motivational Interviewing. The page is called Skills to be Supportive. You may find the sections "Listening and Asking Questions" and "Summarizing and Reflective Listening" particularly helpful. 

(2) Reassurance that life continues: Mental health difficulties can be all consuming and at the moment your brother probably feels like his life has shrunk so that it is all about his mental health. At times like this it can be really reassuring to know that there are other things going on life, to remember past positive experiences, to hear about current exciting news and to think about future positives. With all your experiences abroad I'm sure you can really help with these - providing entertainment and distraction: you can give your family something else to talk about and think about! This kind of distraction can really lift people's mood! 

Beyond this, you may find that building your own understanding of Bipolar helps you feel more confident supporting your family. Bipolar UK have lots of information about Biploar and online support services. 

All the best, 


Comments 0 Please Sign in to comment

Anna Cartwright Anna Cartwright, Jan 20th 2015, 18:34


As well as the resources provided by Student Minds, there is also a page on the 'Rethink Mental Illness' website providing some information/advice about how you could support a sibling who may be struggling, whilst also looking after your own wellbeing:

Hope this helps :)


Comments 0 Please Sign in to comment

Sign up to share your experience

Login to TYA Answers with Facebook Sign in with Facebook

Share Socially

Question Topics

Related questions

Can I study abroad when I don't study a language?

If you speak to your University, they may be able to help you organise a Year Abroad as it is becoming more and more popular for students from all disciplines to study/work abroad.My University has now introduced the non-compulsory study abroad...

Jun 26th 2014, 9:28 | 4 answers

What is the difference between a year abroad and a gap year?

A gap year usually takes place between a student leaving school and starting university. After three years of stress and public exams, many students seize the opportunity to plan the constructive and adventure-filled year of their choice before...

Jun 27th 2014, 12:10 | 1 answer

My daughter says she wants to study abroad next year - what would she be doing?

If your daughter is able to study abroad as part of her degree course, she will be given a list of universities she is eligible to apply to. If she is not doing a language degree, she can go to places like the USA, Australia, New Zealand, South...

Jun 27th 2014, 13:05 | 1 answer

I'd like to do a year abroad, but I don't want to study - what are my other options?

Students of Modern Languages who don’t want to study abroad can work as English Language Assistants at schools and colleges in Europe, and in Canada and Latin America. This programme is run by the British Council, who find the placements...

Jun 27th 2014, 13:54 | 6 answers

I am asthmatic - what's the best way for me to manage my prescriptions during my year abroad?

Asthma doesn't have to be a problem during your year abroad. Speak to your doctor before you leave; if you explain the situation, they will usually be very accommodating and will supply you with enough medication to last until the next time you...

Jul 15th 2014, 15:27 | 1 answer

From the TYA Network

TYA Answers has been created in partnership with: