Latest answers, Jan 20th 2015, 15:46 Verified Guru

Hi there,

Firstly, have a look at Nicola from Student Minds' excellent advice on practical and emotional techniques to deal with a mental illness abroad, including talking to your home university, building strong social networks, engaging in activities that are good for your wellbeing and developing your psychological coping skills.

I would also recommend going to see the doctor in Spain (you may even be able to track down an English-speaking/expat GP) - even if it sounds scary, they will be able to direct you towards a specialist, if you need it. 

Thirdly, there are some great resources below 

Student Minds 

Students Against Depression 

- Papyrus Helpline, HOPELine UK: 0800 068 41 41/

Erasmus+ Additional Support

Befrienders - you can select a helpline by country; simply enter your country in the box at the top.

I hope this helps and remember you can always come back and ask for more advice :)

The TYA Team x

Comments 0 Please Sign in to comment

Sign up to share your experience

Login to TYA Answers with Facebook Sign in with Facebook

Share Socially

Question Topics

Related questions

What is the best way to find accommodation in Spain? is definitely the best website to use when looking for accommodation in Spain. There is also which was quite helpful, and EasyPiso as well, except you have to pay for that one in order to see anything at all other than...

Jul 15th 2014, 18:09 | 5 answers

I'm going to Spain for my year abroad; do I need a NIE?

A NIE is basically the foreigner's version of the Spaniard's ID card (DNI.)  If you intend to open a bank account then you must get one before doing so.  They use the NIE for most things, although it is also possible to use your passport number...

Jul 23rd 2014, 14:27 | 3 answers

Did anyone get welfare support or mental health help on their year abroad?

Your home university should continue to support you, if only with advice. And you will be able to contact your tutors, even if they do not automatically contact you. Many UK universities have designated year abroad tutors and some of these visit...

Aug 8th 2014, 23:56 | 2 answers

Does anyone know any good theatre companies in Spain?

Can't say I know myself, but presumably your university's Spanish department has theatre/drama/literature specialists who you might ask? Even if they don't know, they might have colleagues in the Theatre department or equivalent who can make...

Aug 11th 2014, 18:26 | 1 answer

What is the best option in terms of mobile phone contracts in Spain?

Try looking at these websites:

Aug 12th 2014, 8:33 | 4 answers

From the TYA Network

TYA Answers has been created in partnership with: