Latest answers

Answered anonymously , Aug 12th 2014, 13:28 Verified Guru

Assuming you will be on Erasmus, you should pay no more than a reduced fee (15%) to your home university. You should also still be eligible for a loan, but at a reduced rate.

Comments 0 Please Sign in to comment

Ben SFE Ben SFE, Aug 12th 2014, 14:08 Verified Guru

Hi, if you are at uni in England or Wales then the general rules on your tuition fee and loan for study overseas are below;

If you started your degree after September 2012 and are classed as Home/EU for fee purposes, then you should only need to pay 15% of your maximum tuition fee if spending the whole academic year abroad on Erasmus or other eligible overseas placement. This is up to £1,350 and yes a Tuition Fee Loan is available to cover this.If you study abroad for less than a full academic year (on those courses which permit it), your normal tuition fee may be payable (ask your uni).

The study abroad rate of Maintenance Loan and any Maintenance Grant you get will continue to be available to you and you may also be eligible for a Travel Grant which as the name suggests can  help with some of your travel expenses but also towards other essential costs like medical insurance and visas.

If you entered HE before September 2012 and are classed as Home/EU for fee purposes then you won’t have to pay any tuition fees for the year abroad if you spend a full year on an Erasmus placement.If you entered HE before September 2012 and are classed as Home/EU for fee purposes and you are spending a whole academic year outside of the EU, or one semester in the EU and one semester outside the EU, then you should need to pay 50% of your normal tuition fee for the year abroad.Hope that helps.

Comments 0 Please Sign in to comment

Lauren Stevens Lauren Stevens, Sep 15th 2014, 11:44

I knew I needed some extra cash during my year abroad, so I worked two jobs the summer before and I decided to the English Language Assistantship to earn money and stay in Europe to get an ERASMUS grant. I had my student loan, but I only paid a small amount of my tuition fees. Earning money as an English Language Assistant as well as having my university bursary, Erasmus grant, student loan and the money I saved up from working two jobs last summer have enabled me travel during the year and over the summer and I still have some savings left over!

Comments 0 Please Sign in to comment

Sign up to share your experience

Login to TYA Answers with Facebook Sign in with Facebook

Share Socially

Question Topics

Related questions

Can I study abroad when I don't study a language?

If you speak to your University, they may be able to help you organise a Year Abroad as it is becoming more and more popular for students from all disciplines to study/work abroad.My University has now introduced the non-compulsory study abroad...

Jun 26th 2014, 9:28 | 4 answers

What is the difference between a year abroad and a gap year?

A gap year usually takes place between a student leaving school and starting university. After three years of stress and public exams, many students seize the opportunity to plan the constructive and adventure-filled year of their choice before...

Jun 27th 2014, 12:10 | 1 answer

My daughter says she wants to study abroad next year - what would she be doing?

If your daughter is able to study abroad as part of her degree course, she will be given a list of universities she is eligible to apply to. If she is not doing a language degree, she can go to places like the USA, Australia, New Zealand, South...

Jun 27th 2014, 13:05 | 1 answer

I'd like to do a year abroad, but I don't want to study - what are my other options?

Students of Modern Languages who don’t want to study abroad can work as English Language Assistants at schools and colleges in Europe, and in Canada and Latin America. This programme is run by the British Council, who find the placements...

Jun 27th 2014, 13:54 | 6 answers

I am asthmatic - what's the best way for me to manage my prescriptions during my year abroad?

Asthma doesn't have to be a problem during your year abroad. Speak to your doctor before you leave; if you explain the situation, they will usually be very accommodating and will supply you with enough medication to last until the next time you...

Jul 15th 2014, 15:27 | 1 answer

From the TYA Network

TYA Answers has been created in partnership with: