It's a stressful time of year for students heading abroad. From checking the final details of their placement to organising flights, accommodation and banking (not to mention the nerves!), it can become overwhelming.
That's why, on 11th June, TYA Answers hosted an Pre-Departure Q&A Day in partnership with British Council Study Work Create!
We had some great questions, covering practical topics such as how to find accommodation and choose a bank and whether to buy a foreign SIM card, as well as emotional topics such as how to deal with homesickness and coping with flying alone.
- Users logged on from the UK, Russia, the USA, Spain, Canada, Australia, Germany, France, Austria and Italy.
- TYA Answers now has over 1300 users, with over 500 of those logging on to ask, answer and discover on the day
- Over 75% of the visitors to the site on the day were new users
- 104 different institutions and organisations are now registered on TYA Answers
- The questions on TYA Answers have been viewed almost 89,000 times.
Here's a taster of the questions:
- Should I still be paying tuition fees as a language assistant?
- What is the best way to open a bank account in Germany?
- Do you have any au pairing experience?
- Advice on writing a French and/or Italian CV?
- Best advice for homesickness?
- Any advice about banking in Italy and/or Switzerland?
- What can I do about my mobile phone in Bologna and Geneva?
- Finding accommodation in Geneva, Switzerland?
- How do you get used to flying on your own?
- How do you cope with a long-term medical condition in Switzerland (or Europe in general)?
- How can I find accommodation in Nice?
The questions and answers will stay on the site for future year abroad students to find the answers to their pre-departure questions.
There is also a great Before You Go section on ThirdYearAbroad.com with articles and advice to students prepare to move abroad.
Thank you so much for taking part in the day! If you were unable to join in on the 11th, remember that you can ask, answer and discover on TYA Answers at any time.
The TYA Team