As I'm sure you are all aware, yesterday marked the launch of TYA Answers with a massive study abroad Q&A day live on the site!
The day was a resounding success with a brilliant level of engagement from students, institutions and organisations.
- Students from 56 different institutions are now registered on TYA Answers!
- Users logged in from 59 countries all over the world, including Japan, Mexico, South Korea and New Zealand, as well as the UK and USA.
- Special thanks goes to Professor Mike Kelly from Routes into Languages, Joachim Whaley from the University of Cambridge, King’s College London, The Universities UK International Unit, Student Finance England, Philip Harding-Esch from Speak to the Future, the European Commission Representation in the UK, British Council Study Work Create and all the students who contributed fantastic questions and answers during the day.
- Together we helped over 6,000 people!
Here's a taster of the questions:
1. How do I persuade my mum to let me do a year abroad? - a question that addresses one of the obstacles to students studying a language at university, with very thoughtful, sensible answers from both experts and students.
2. Will I still get a tuition fee loan on my year abroad? - useful question about year abroad finances with a response from Student Finance England!
3. How do I cope with the stress of being abroad? - very thoughtful answers addressing one of the principal reasons students are put off Erasmus (responses from Speak to the Future, Routes into Languages and Cambridge University).
4. Do people ever take their partner on a year abroad? - with an amazing answer written by a student who got married in second year. His wife accompanied him on his year abroad and had their first baby during his first semester in Spain, before they both moved to Italy for the second semester! What a story!!!
5. Small city in France to spend my year abroad? - with great responses from a range of experienced students.
6. Is it a bad idea to live with a friend from university on my year abroad? - our most popular question so far, with two sensitive answers from students who have experienced the same dilemma.
7. When you have a question about studying abroad, who are you most likely to ask and how? - a really interesting question asked by the King’s College London Study Abroad Office, in order to help them to help their students more effectively.
8. What’s the best way to look for careers that require a language? - a great question that caters to finalists and graduates who are looking to use their language skills in their life post-university. Informative answers from KCL and the European Commission Representation in the UK.
Thank you SO much to everyone who has been involved with the site so far. Your input is invaluable in turning TYA Answers into THE go-to year abroad resource!
We hope that you continue to Discover, Ask and Answer, and don't forget to let us know what you think via the Feedback button!