Thank you so much to everyone who participated in our Mental Health Q&A Day yesterday!
Over 1,000 of you logged on to ask, answer and discover questions on welfare-based topics, including dealing with anxiety, how to tell if a friend or family member has depression and how best to support them, misgendering and coping strategies for severe homesickness.
The support on Twitter and Facebook was also overwhelming; our hashtag #TYAmentalhealth had a reach of 50,000 and many of you expressed your gratitude for the opportunity to speak out.
- 1,000 people logged on to ask, answer and discover during the day
- Over half of the visitors on the day were new users
- The questions on TYA Answers have been viewed almost 45,000 times
- Users visited from Europe, Asia, North and South America, Australasia and Africa, demonstrating the incredible spread of UK students across the globe!
A taster of the questions:
- Is there support from universities in regards to mental and emotional health? (a question from a student with an existing mental illness who wants to prepare for her year abroad).
- How do you feel about a pre-study abroad mental health assessment to decide your eligibility to go? (TYA asked this question, sparking a debate about whether a pre-departure mental health assessment would help both students and universities)
- How can you support a sibling with a mental health issue from your year abroad? (a question from a student who wants to support her mentally ill brother whilst on her your abroad)
- Any advice on how to meet people on your third year abroad? (a question from an introverted student who wants to meet fellow year abroad students in Valencia)
- When (if ever) do I give up and go home? (a student who has been struggling with their mental health throughout their year abroad who wants to know whether she should return to the UK)
- How do I go about getting support for mental illness in Spain? (a question about the appropriate places to look for welfare support from a year abroad student in Spain)
- How do I deal with misgendering? (a question from a trans student who wants to know how to deal with non-binary gender pronouns in a foreign language)
- How do I tell if a friend has depression? (a question about how to tell if a fellow year abroad student is homesick or depressed)
- Has a rep. from your uni visited you on your year abroad? If so, did it make a difference? (a question from TYA to ascertain whether students find visits from their universities valuable on a year abroad)
The questions and answers collected yesterday will stay on TYA Answers for present and future year abroaders to use as a resource. We really hope that the day was helpful for you all.
The TYA Team